This is a recipe which will satisfy pineapple fans. The pastry cream is the best I've ever tasted.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained with juice reserved
To Make Pastry Cream: In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup of milk with flour, then stir in the egg yolks. Mix well.
Heat sugar and remaining 1 cup of milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir into egg yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and heat until boiling. Turn down heat to low and keep cooking until mixture thickens. Stir in vanilla. Set aside for 15 minutes.
To Make Glaze: In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of pineapple juice with jam until thickened.
Pour cooled pastry cream into pie shell. Cut pineapple slices into quarters and arrange them decoratively on top of pastry cream. Brush pie with glaze.