Fresh mangos, sugar, crushed pineapple and tapioca are stirred together and left to macerate in a bowl. When all the flavors and juices have mingled, the filling is spooned into a prepared crust, topped with another, and slipped into a hot oven to bake fo
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 1/2 cups mangos, peeled and sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 5 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
Mix the mangos, drained crushed pineapple, white sugar, brown sugar, apple juice, and tapioca. Let stand in a bowl for 20 minutes.
Pour filling into the unbaked pie shell, and dot with butter or margarine. Cover with top crust, and seal edges. Cut slits in top of outer crust.
Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until bubbles burst slowly and crust is a nice golden brown color. Let pie cool, and serve at room temperature.