Pineapple and lemon are stirred into a simple custard filling that is then poured into a pastry shell, topped with a pretty lattice, and baked. Serve chilled with sliced strawberries.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Roll out half of pastry to line pie pan, and roll out other half to cut into strips for lattice top.
In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, and grated lemon rind. Mix well then stir in pineapple. Spread filling into pastry-lined pie pan, make lattice top, and crimp edges. Place in preheated oven and bake 40 minutes or until filling is set and crust is lightly browned. Chill before serving.