Sauced-up sausage, tomatoes, green pepper and onion accompany two kinds of beans in this warm main dish. Serve hearty helpings with a salad and rolls for a filling supper.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a Dutch oven, saute the onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until heated through.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 287 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,363 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.