A thick blend of richness, spice, and flavor - this exciting chowder will leave you wanting another bowl (or another piece of bread for dipping).
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 fresh poblano chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lobster base (optional)
- 1 pinch ground dried chile de arbol
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and diced
- salt to taste
- white sugar to taste
In a blender or food processor, puree the onion and celery; drain.
Melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and celery puree and the poblano chile pepper. Stirring constantly, cook about 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in heavy cream, half-and-half cream, sugar, and lobster base. Season with chile de arbol and black pepper. Stirring often, bring to a gentle boil.
Melt 1/2 cup margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix in the flour, and stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually mix into the large saucepan. Cook and stir until the mixture is well blended and thickened.
Mix cream-style corn and whole kernel corn into the large saucepan mixture. Stir in the shrimp, and cook 2 minutes, or until opaque. Season with salt and sugar.