Layers of sauerkraut, egg noodles, a creamy mushroom mixture, Swiss cheese and bread crumbs build up to form this casserole named after the famous sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 (16 ounce) cans sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 1/2 pounds kielbasa (Polish) sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl combine the soup, milk, onion and mustard. Mix well and set aside.
Spread sauerkraut into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with uncooked noodles, then spoon soup mixture evenly over noodles. Cover all with sausage and top with cheese. Lastly, combine bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and mix together; sprinkle mixture over cheese.
Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until noodles are tender.