Not your everyday chicken dish! In this unique preparation, chicken legs and onions are sauteed in olive oil, then slow simmered with pomegranate juice, pureed toasted walnuts, and cardamom.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken legs, cut up
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound walnuts, toasted and finely ground in a food processor
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken and onions in skillet, and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in pureed walnuts, salt, pomegranate juice, and cardamom. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. (If the sauce becomes too thick, stir in 1/4 cup warm water.) Mix in sugar, adjust seasoning, and simmer 30 minutes more.