The rich, earthy savor of porcini mushrooms, red wine and rosemary meld with sauteed garlic, onions, bell peppers and carrots in this aromatic tomato sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup rehydrated porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups tagliatelle ( wide noodles)
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and saute for 4 minutes, then add red bell pepper and carrots and saute for 4 more minutes. Add red wine, raise heat and boil for 1 minute; then reduce heat to medium low, add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, basil and rosemary and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve sauce over cooked noodles.