This sweet yet savory medley of apples, sweet potatoes, onions, and sauerkraut cooks up perfectly in the slow cooker! Don't be afraid of the sauerkraut---it becomes sweet and mild.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 (1 inch thick) boneless pork chops
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Quickly brown the pork chops on each side. Set aside.
Arrange sweet potato slices in the bottom of a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker. Cover with the onion slices, then the apple slices. Sprinkle brown sugar, nutmeg and salt over the apples, and grind a little pepper. Place the pork chops on top of the pile, and cover with sauerkraut. Cover, and cook on Low for about 5 hours. It can go an extra hour without drying out though.
Serve pork and vegetables with juice from the slow cooker spooned over them.