Meaty portobello mushrooms are a hearty addition to chili.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onions until tender. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix the mushrooms into the skillet, and continue cooking, stirring frequently, 10 minutes, or until tender.
Pour the tomatoes and beans into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 40 minutes.