Bake your favorite pizza toppings onto a portobello mushroom cap for a slice of the South Beach Diet's Phase 2 to go.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 6 ounces portobello mushroom caps, cleaned
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced, roasted, or grilled
- Oregano leaves (optional)
Combine the oil and garlic in a small bowl and rub the mushroom caps on all sides with the mixture. Place the caps, top side down, in a circle on an oiled baking sheet. Season with the salt and pepper. Arrange the cheese, basil, and tomato slices alternately in a circle on top of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with the oregano, if using. Bake at 450 degrees F until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
This recipe is optimal for Phase 1 or Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet.