Portuguese sausage is slowly cooked with potatoes, cabbage, kidney beans, ham and pasta in this rich, hearty soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 pounds spicy Portuguese sausage, sliced
- 1 pound ham hocks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) package macaroni
In a large pot over low heat, combine sausage, ham hocks, onion and water. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
Remove ham hock from soup, remove meat, tear into small pieces, and return meat to pot. Stir in carrots, potatoes, cabbage and tomato sauce. Cover and continue cooking 60 to 90 minutes more.
Stir in beans and pasta, adding more water as needed, and cook until heated through and pasta is tender, 10 minutes.