This wonderful dish is a medley of meat and vegetable flavors.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 24 small clams in shell, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In large bowl, combine wine, paprika, salt and pepper, blend well. Add garlic cloves, bay leaf, and cubed meat, turn meat in marinade to coat pieces. Marinate for 6 hours, turning occasionally.
Drain pork; reserve marinade. Pat cubes completely dry. Discard garlic and bay leaf. Melt 1 teaspoon of oil in large skillet. Add pork cubes, stirring frequently so that the meat colors quickly and evenly. Transfer with slotted spoon to a bowl.
Pour reserved marinade into skillet and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping off any brown particles clinging to the inside of pan. Boil briskly uncovered until marinade is reduced to 1 cup. Pour over pork and set aside.
In 6 to 8 quart pan, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil; add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is soft but not brown. Add garlic, tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
Spread the clams, hinged side down, over the tomato sauce; cover the pan tightly and cook over medium to high heat for ten minutes or until clams open. Stir in reserved pork and juices. Simmer for 5 minutes to heat thoroughly. Sprinkle with parsley.