Vegetable broth is the base for this wonderful soup. And yes, there are lots of potatoes. Swiss cheese is added at the last minute, so that it gently melts into this hearty soup. Very, very good.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
In a large saucepan, bring potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, vegetable broth and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are just tender. Do not rinse: mash mixture slightly. Stir in milk.
In a small mixing bowl, blend butter, flour, parsley, and pepper; stir into potato mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
Remove from heat: add cheese and stir until cheese is almost melted. Let soup stand for 5 minutes.