Make a warm, homey nest for boiled pierogies with a simmer of cabbage, onion and garlic. Stir diced tomatoes into the mix and heat thoroughly before folding in pierogies.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen pierogies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add cabbage, onion, salt, ground black pepper and garlic; cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add perogies and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions; drain and stir in butter.
Just before cabbage is done, stir in tomatoes; heat through. Gently stir perogies into cabbage mixture; serve.