Ham, beans and rice are featured in this hearty soup with tomatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced cooked ham
- 3 large stalks celery, thinly sliced, leaves reserved and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can cranberry beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon in olive oil until brown. Stir in ham and cook a few minutes more. Stir in celery (reserve the leaves), onion and carrot and cook until vegetables are tender, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Stir in tomatoes, broth, rice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and rice is nearly tender.
Stir in cranberry beans and white beans and heat through. Stir in parsley and celery leaves and remove from heat. Serve hot.