This Chicken Marbella, as this dish is commonly known, requires a lengthy marinade in prunes, green olives, garlic, oil and seasonings before baking in the same concoction. It is well worth the time, as this marvelous Mediterranean fare is a perfect part
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pitted prunes, halved
- 8 small green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
In a medium bowl combine the garlic, prunes, olives, capers, olive oil, vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread mixture in the bottom of a 10x15 inch baking dish. Add the chicken pieces, stir and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove dish from refrigerator. Sprinkle brown sugar on top and pour white wine all around chicken.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, spooning juices over chicken several times as it is baking. Serve on a platter, pouring juices over the top, and garnish with fresh parsley.