Slow oven cooked pork in a homemade barbecue sauce combining tomatoes, garlic, onion, vinegar, mustard and chili powder with a hint of EQUAL® sweetness. Serve on crusty whole grain rolls for a real taste treat.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) whole pork tenderloin, all fat trimmed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup Equal® Spoonful*
- Salt and pepper
- 6 multigrain hamburger buns, toasted
Rub pork with 1 teaspoon chili powder and garlic powder; place in baking pan. Bake in preheated 425 degrees F oven 30 to 40 minutes or until pork is well browned and juices run clear. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into 2 to 3-inch slices; shred slices into bite-size pieces with fork.
Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Saute onion and garlic about 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, maple extract, and liquid smoke to saucepan; heat to boiling.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until medium sauce consistency. Stir in Equal®. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir pork into sauce; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until hot. Spoon mixture into buns.
* May substitute 8 packets Equal® sweetener