A great combination of beans, smoked sausage and vegetables in an easy one skillet meal. We've been making this so long I can't even remember where I first got the recipe. It's a staple when we go camping. My teenage daughter and her friends love it. Serv
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic; cook and stir for a few minutes, until the onion is transparent. Add the sausage to the skillet, and cook for a few more minutes to brown.
Pour in the kidney beans, cannellini beans and tomatoes, and season with the bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
Remove bay leaves and discard. Sprinkle parsley over the top, and serve.