This recipe is a family favorite for those busy evenings when you want comfort food, but don't have the time to simmer it all day. Serve over rice, pasta, or with mashed potatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken and cook about 1 minute. Mix in garlic and onion; cook until tender. Stir in carrot, zucchini, and red bell pepper. Pour in tomatoes with juice. Season with red pepper flakes, basil, and bay leaf, and continue cooking 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender and chicken juices run clear. Stir in the butter until melted, and season with salt and pepper just before serving.