Tender chicken breasts are cooked with sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic, then simmered in spaghetti sauce, red wine and a sweet dose of brown sugar. Roasted red peppers finish the sauce, which is served over boiled linguini.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) jar roasted Italian cherry peppers, drained and chopped
- 5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package linguini pasta
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic; saute until tender. Add chicken, and cook until no longer pink. Stir in pasta sauce, wine, and brown sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add drained and sliced roasted red peppers, and simmer 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Serve sauce over pasta.