For the ultimate gazpacho, you must peel, seed, dice, salt and drain really good, vine-ripened tomatoes. So what if you don't have time to fuss with fresh tomatoes? I've found the canned variety makes a fine substitute. Another advantage: Fresh tomatoes s
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I use Hunt's Petite Diced)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, basil or cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Process 1/2 cup of tomatoes, along with the water and oil, in a blender or food processor until pureed. Transfer to a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be made several hours before serving.)
This recipe was originally featured in the USA WEEKEND article Make It a Cold One on June 27, 2004.
Find the Perfect Recipe from Pam Anderson.Copyright 2004 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.