A family favorite recipe that is very quick, when time is short and leftovers are plenty. This may also be made in a slow cooker. I like to add zucchini, peas, corn or any leftover 'soup friendly' veggie.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 (1 ounce) packages dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup seashell pasta
- ground black pepper to taste
In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat; add meat and brown lightly.
Stir in carrots, potatoes, onion soup mix, sugar, water, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, hot pepper sauce, and pepper. Stir frequently.
Bring to a boil , add pasta and reduce heat. Simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.