Made with ingredients on hand in the pantry, this soup takes the chill away on a cold winter's night.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound ground turkey breast or lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Kretschmer® original toasted wheat germ
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup small soup pasta, such as tiny bowties, ditalini or shells, uncooked
- 5 ounces fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine all meatball ingredients; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/4-inch meatballs. Place in shallow baking pan sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine broth and tomatoes. Cover; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add meatballs. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Stir in spinach. Remove from heat. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Serve in bowls sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.