Seasoned rice and chicken cook together with vegetables for a satisfying single-skillet meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt-free herb and spice blend
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 (16 ounce) packages chopped mixed vegetables
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
In a large skillet melt butter/margarine over medium heat. Add rice and bay leaf. Stir until rice is translucent but not browned. Add pepper, herb-and-spice blend, bouillon and water. Mix well and bring all to a boil.
Add chicken, submerging under water. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low. Let simmer as long as rice dictates. Add the mixed vegetables in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Add hot pepper sauce and stir well.