Exciting Indian spices bring a warm, exotic flavor to fried okra.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen sliced okra
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon amchoor
- salt to taste
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook mustard seed until it begins to crackle. Mix in asafoetida. Reduce heat to low, and mix in onion, garlic, cumin seed, and turmeric. Cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir tomato and okra into the mixture. Gradually mix in chili powder, amchoor, and salt. Cook and stir about 10 minutes, until okra is tender but firm.