A great recipe I've been using for years and it gets better and better each time! Some variations have been made to the original recipe for preference, so feel free to do the same yourself.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (6.75 ounce) package dried rice vermicelli
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons smooth peanut butter
- hot chile paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - diced
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts
Soak rice noodles in warm water for 20 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the ketchup, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, curry powder, peanut butter and chile paste. Set aside.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until juices run clear. Add the green peppers, and saute for a minute. Move the chicken and pepper to one side of the pan, and pour in the eggs. Cook eggs, stirring constantly until firm and scrambled, stir in the chicken and peppers. Add shrimp and pour in 1/4 of the ketchup mixture along with bean sprouts and noodles. Mix and cook for a few minutes until shrimp are pink. Add the remaining sauce, and cook until heated through. Garnish with green onions and chopped peanuts, and serve.