This is a low-fat, high-protein recipe. For vegan, simply leave out the cheese. The variety of beans adds a nice touch of color, and it can be made as mild or spicy as you like it. Remember to recycle all those cans we used.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 4 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
In a 4 quart pot, saute garlic in oil.
Add diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato sauce, tomato paste, beer, chili powder, mustard powder, oregano, pepper, cumin, hot pepper sauce. Stir in the pinto beans, garbanzo beans, black beans, red and white kidney beans, and corn. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Top each serving with cheese (if you'd like).