Chopped beef, pork and veal are browned with salt pork, onion, carrot and celery, then simmered with tomato paste, mushrooms and chicken livers. To finish the sauce, pour in cream, sliced truffles and grated nutmeg, and serve over hot pasta.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 3/4 pound cubed flank steak
- 4 ounces ground pork
- 1/4 pound veal, trimmed and cubed
- 1/4 pound finely ground salt pork
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cooked chicken liver, diced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 small truffle, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
In a large saucepan, combine beef, chopped pork, veal, salt pork, onion, carrot and celery to brown thoroughly over medium low heat. Add stock or water and continue to cook until it evaporates.
Add tomato paste, salt, pepper and enough water to cover meat. Cover pan and cook slowly for 1 hour. Add mushrooms and livers and cook for 15 minutes longer. Just before serving add cream, truffle and nutmeg. Mix well and serve.