Tri-colored cake with a lemon layer, lime layer and an orange layer. The filling is a lemon curd and the frosting is orange.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1 recipe Lemon Custard Filling
- 1 recipe Orange Cream Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 (9 inch) pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Divide batter into 3 bowls.
In first bowl, stir in lemon zest and yellow food coloring; pour into prepared pan. In second bowl, Stir in orange zest and orange food coloring; pour into second prepared pan. In third bowl Stir in lime zest and green food coloring; pour into third prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Assemble the cake: Put layers together with Lemon Filling. Frost sides and top with Orange Cream Frosting. Refrigerate until serving.