My mother-in-law made this salad mold for a wedding supper when we were married thirty-eight years ago. The horseradish gives it some zip.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime flavored gelatin mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 dash salt
In a medium bowl, stir together the boiling water, unflavored gelatin, and lime flavored gelatin until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside to cool until slightly thick.
Using an electric mixer, beat in the mayonnaise, cottage cheese, and horseradish until foamy. Fold in the pineapple, pecans and salt. Pour into a gelatin mold, and refrigerate until set.