Quick and easy red velvet cake.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon butter flavored extract
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 9 inch round pans.
Cream shortening, butter flavoring, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Make a paste with food coloring and cocoa and add to the shortening mixture.
Mix buttermilk, salt, baking soda and vinegar; add to mixture. Slowly add flour to mixture.
Put batter into 2 greased 9 inch round pans. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
To Make Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine 1/2 cup butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until well blended.