A true Texas favorite! This is a Mexican type stew that is generally served on hot flour tortillas. It is considered a main dish.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 pinch monosodium glutamate
- salt and pepper to taste
In a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. As the meat begins to brown, add the onion, green peppers, garlic, and meat tenderizer. Reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cover. Cook for 45 minutes, or until the meat is the desired tenderness.