This is a memorable combination, especially when all warm and bubbly. There 's sugar for sweetness and vinegar for a bit of sour, and lots of cabbage and thinly sliced apples. Makes two generous servings.
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
Heat oil in a medium size saucepan. Stir in cabbage and onion; fry until wilted. Stir in apple and water, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes.
Pour vinegar and sugar into the mixture while tasting for desired sweet and sour taste. Cook another 5 to 6 minutes.