Lots of rhubarb and sugar go into this sweet and juicy pie. Combine the sliced rhubarb with sugar, flour and a smidgen of nutmeg, and pile the mixture into a prepared crust. Dot with butter, cover with a round of pastry and bake.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 pounds rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Combine sliced rhubarb with sugar, flour and nutmeg and mix lightly. Add red food coloring, if using, and mix well.
Place mixture into unbaked 9 inch pie shell and dot with butter. Cover with top pastry and cut design in top crust for steam to escape.
Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and fruit is bubbly. Let cool and serve.