A low-fat alternative to a traditional Alfredo sauce. I add chicken, most of the time, to make it a complete meal!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 8 ounces fettuccini pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook 15 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in steamed broccoli and cooked pasta. Sprinkle with parsley.