Delicious and hearty - rigatoni, eggplant, mushrooms and goat cheese, all mixed together and served hot.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 15 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces goat cheese, cut into large chunks
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high. Stir in mushrooms, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the eggplant, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth and olives. Season with thyme, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Toss with pasta and goat cheese.