Ordinary rice is made extraordinary with chicken broth, peas, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts. This slow cooker side dish is a very light and fluffy and it goes very well with beef, pork, chicken as well as seafood.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups converted long-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Combine rice, onion, and garlic in bowl of a slow cooker. Pour chicken broth and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
Stir boiling liquid, Italian seasoning, and basil into rice mixture. Cover and cook on low setting for 2 to 3 hours, until liquid is absorbed. Stir in peas. Cover and cook 1 hour. Stir in cheese. Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with pine nuts.