This dish is great for kids and adults. There's a sweetness to the meat sauce that kids love and then they don't seem to mind that there are veggies in the sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup diced carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) package farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (optional)
In a large skillet over medium heat, combine ground beef, onion and garlic. Cook until meat is evenly brown. Drain excess fat. Stir in carrots, bell pepper, diced tomatoes and stewed tomatoes with juice. Season with onion powder, parsley, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and sugar. Simmer 15 minutes more.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain. Toss pasta with meat sauce until evenly coated, and serve with crumbled Gorgonzola.