A skewered combination of crusty bread, sweet bell pepper, your favorite cheese, and big, beautiful Lindsay® Black Olives, make for an undeniably delicious combination.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano or thyme leaves
- 1/2 pound mozzarella, provolone or fontina cheese
- 8 ounces country Italian bread, such as Ciabatta or Como
- 1 red or green bell pepper
- 12 Lindsay® Colossal or Super Colossal Black Ripe Pitted Olives
- 4 skewers (10-inch)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In small saucepan, stir butter, garlic, salt and white pepper over low heat until melted and hot. Remove from heat and stir in oregano. Set aside. Cut cheese into 8 (1-inch) cubes. Place cubes in freezer for 5 minutes before skewering. Cut bread into slices about 1/2-inch thick; cut each slice into 12 (2-x 2-inch) pieces. Cut bell pepper into 12 (1-inch) squares. On each skewer, alternate 3 olives, 3 bread pieces, 3 pepper pieces and 2 cheese cubes. Set a rack on a baking sheet; place skewers on rack. Remove and discard garlic from oil. Brush oil on all sides of each skewer. Roast for 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until cheese is warm and just begins to melt. Serve hot.
Roast for 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until cheese is warm and just begins to melt. Serve hot.
Fresh Lemon Variation: Substitute 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice for 1 tablespoon butter.