Don't expect conventional nutrients from mushrooms, but they have hidden anti-cancer activity and may stimulate immune function, research finds. Add red pepper's vitamin C, olive oil's good fat, and the antioxidants in basil and garlic for a very healthfu
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or mint leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 leaves Boston lettuce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- Salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss mushrooms in 1 Tb. olive oil and 1 tsp. lemon juice. Spread on large baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Drain off liquid. Cool slightly. In a bowl, combine mushrooms, red pepper, basil or mint, and pine nuts.
Whisk together dressing ingredients; toss into mushroom mixture.
Place lettuce on 4 salad plates and spoon mushroom mixture on top.