An exciting blend of ingredients comes together to form a wonderfully zesty dipping sauce for chips. For a hotter sauce, use more peppers!
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
In a large saucepan, place diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, roasted red peppers, onion, red wine, brown sugar, hot chile peppers, tomato paste, distilled white vinegar, garlic, oregano and cumin seeds. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow mixture to simmer approximately 30 minutes.
Place mixture in a blender, and blend to desired consistency. Chill in the refrigerator 4 hours, or until cold, before serving.