The nests are made out of a basic cookie dough rolled in chopped walnuts and they're filled with little fondant eggs.
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 drops blue food coloring
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks then stir in the vanilla. Stir in the flour and mix well.
In a shallow dish, such as a pie pan, beat egg whites until foamy. Spread walnuts on a plate or waxed paper.
Roll 1 teaspoon of dough into a ball; roll in egg whites then in walnuts. Place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Make a depression in each ball with your thumb.
Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, cream the remaining 2 tablespoons butter with corn syrup, blue and green food coloring and almond extract. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Roll 1/2 teaspoon of fondant mixture into egg-shaped balls. Place fondant eggs into hollows of baked cookies.