Black beans simmer with tomatoes, green chiles, onions, garlic, and spicy seasonings.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash chili powder
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook about 2 minutes; then stir in garlic, and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Stir in tomatoes, cilantro, and sugar. Season with cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, and ground cinnamon. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in black beans, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 hour or longer.