This is a yummy salad my roommate from Croatia made all of the time. It's perfect for lunch. You just want to keep eating and eating! Make right before serving, doesn't refrigerate well.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 (7 ounce) can albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
In a medium bowl, toss together the romainee lettuce, carrot, and tuna. Pour the olive oil and vinegar over this mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. When the rice is done, cool for about 5 minutes, then toss with the salad. The warm rice will wilt the romaine lettuce slightly. Taste and adjust the amounts of vinegar and oil or salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately. This does not keep well.