This hearty stew slowly simmers bite-size chicken pieces with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, and great northern beans. It's great on a cold night paired with homemade biscuits.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans, soaked overnight
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
Into a large stock pot over medium heat, place chicken, mushrooms, and onions. Mix in tomatoes, carrots, and celery. Then stir in beans, garlic, rosemary, and enough water to not quite cover. Bring to a low simmer, and cook until chicken is soft, about 2 to 3 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste. To thicken, stir in cornstarch, if necessary.