Chicken breast is cooked with rotini pasta and cheddar cheese soup in this comfort food casserole that the kids will love.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
Melt butter in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Saute the chicken, onion and mushrooms until chicken is no longer pink, and juices run clear. In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta, peas, milk, condensed soup and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir in the chicken mixture. Pour into a 3 quart baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.