Vanilla and cinnamon add sweetness while ginger and red pepper bring a surprise heat to these grilled tropical fruit skewers. Make sure bananas are firm and ripe for this spicy, jazzed up, special dessert.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Red Pepper
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 2x1-inch pieces
- 4 ripe red or 2 ripe yellow bananas, peeled, cut into 2x1-inch pieces
- 2 star fruit, cut into 1-inch slices
- 8-12 skewers
In a small bowl, stir first 6 ingredients until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
Thread fruit alternately onto double skewers. Brush with spice mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
Grill or broil fruit skewers 10 minutes or until brown, basting with spice mixture and turning occasionally.
To prevent pieces of fruit from spinning around as you turn kabobs, thread fruit onto two parallel skewers for each kabob.