There 's a nice tangy bite to this hearty dark rye that still has a tender crumb, thanks to bread flour. Cocoa and coffee powders darken the loaf, and caraway and fennel seeds impart just a bit of licorice flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Place ingredients into the bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer.
Use the whole wheat, regular crust setting.
After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on a cake rack, and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.