These have dates, candied cherries and candied pineapple.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pound dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 pound red and green candied cherries, chopped
- 1 pound candied pineapple
Cream sugar and butter together; add beaten egg yolks. Mix baking soda with warm water and add to creamed mixture.
Sift flour and spices together and beat into butter/egg mixture. Add chopped dates and chopped candied fruits. Fold in beaten egg whites.
Drop on baking sheet and bake in preheated 300-degree F (150 degree C) oven for 20 minutes.